NYS Gun Reform Laws PSA
On Monday, June 6, 2022, New York Gov. Kathy Hochul signed into law a package of new gun laws. The package includes ten bills in total, with some major provisions in the bills including:
- Raising the age to purchase a semi-automatic rifle from 18 to 21,
- A ban on civilian use or ownership of body armor,
- The requirement of passing a background check before purchasing a semi-automatic rifle,
- Broadened the state’s “red flag” laws, expanding the list of individuals who may file for extreme risk protection orders,
- The legislation additionally includes a bill to micro-stamp every bullet shot out of newly purchased guns, and
- Tightened rules at gun shops, requiring police conducted inspections of gun dealers every three years.
As the New York State Representative for the ARMED CITIZENS DEFENSE FUND, if you have any questions about gun legalities, please do not hesitate to contact LAW OFFICES OF ALAN J. SCHWARTZ, P.C.